Tuesday, June 8, 2010

People Like Us

I spent some time playing on the People Like Us website. I really enjoyed reading the stories. When thinking about social class, I think about family and how things are passed from one generation to another. I forgot about all the times when people grow older and change their own personal social class, whether it is higher or lower and the strain that it can have on a family relationship. I can see how some family or parents are too proud to take things that are given to them, as in Val’s case. I also recall students making light of their economic situation and putting down family members, parents, cousins, friends, etc. to make others perceive them as wealthier than what they really are. Social class is another taboo that people do not like to discuss. It is an uncomfortable conversation. I enjoyed playing the games, and it took me a little bit to figure some of them out and what they were exactly looking for. Many times none of the answers reflected my true thoughts. I often find surveys, quizzes, and hypothetical games difficult for me to complete because I am a very practical person and none of the options suit me. This is a good website which is user friendly and is not intimidating. It really makes you think about social class and question how and why it is decided the way it is in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment